Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Door Hardware Safety and other Door Hardware topics.
Since many criminals know how to pick a door lock, it is a good idea to beef-up your door hardware in other ways to supplement your deadbolts. Try one of these ideas to make your door even more secure:
• Put flush, surface, or Dutch deadbolts on the inside of your door. These types of latches usually have a bolt rod which slides into mounted fasteners or plates.
• Add a security fastener that uses a chain or hook to firmly latch your door to the door frame.
• For the ultimate kick-proof door, try purchasing a door jamming bar that locks between the floor and the door handle. Another option is the floor-mounted security wedge like the Power Wedge.
• Install long strike plate screws into the door jamb to replace the standard short screws used by most builders. Use screws at least three inches long.
• Upgrade your externally exposed door hinges with non-removable hinges that are only accessible from the interior side.